Yes, I am semi-superstitious, I admit it. I was putting a vacation day on my work calendar when I noticed there was a Friday the 13th in April. I’m aware of the one next week so I thought I would see how many more there are this year. There’s one in July too. I hate Friday the 13th. Weird shit happens at work on those days. At least there isn’t a full moon on those dates. When the full moon falls on Friday the 13th I take the day off of work and stay in bed, it’s just safer that way. Here are some interesting Friday the 13th facts:
- The fear of Friday the 13th is called asparaskevidekatriaphobia.
- The fear of the number 13 comes from Christians. Thirteen is significant to Christians because it is the number of people who were present at the Last Supper (Jesus and his 12 apostles). Judas, the apostle who betrayed Jesus, was the 13th member of the party to arrive.
- With regards to Fridays and Christians, Jesus was crucified on a Friday.
Other things related to the number 13:
- After 13 years of being the richest man in the world, Microsoft Corporation chairman Bill Gates lost this title, according to Forbes magazine’s 2008 list of the world’s billionaires.
- Microsoft plans to skip Office 13 for being “an unlucky number,” going directly from Office 12 to Office 14.
- The creators of the online game Kingdom of Loathing avoid the number 13 in all of their programming.
- Some airplanes skip a row 13, going straight from 12 to 14.
- The original US Flag had 13 stars on it.
I also noticed there is a full moon this Monday which would explain how the last couple days have gone. For those of you that wonder why the last couple days have been weird and think to yourself “is it a full moon?”, there are ways to be reminded of that automatically. Of course there is an app for that on your phone and yes I have it and use it. You can also click here to subscribe to the full moon memo. You will get an email one two days before the full moon reminding you that it’s coming. I see that 19,466 people use that, soon to be 19,467.